Leave a comment
July 12, 2017 by jhoffdog
by Selena Bemak for Wyck Association
Honey bees are vital to the human population as well as the Earth because of the significant role they play in pollination and food production.
Some amazing facts about honey bees that you might now know are:
- They are three types of honey bees – the Queen bee, worker bees and drone bees.
- The Queen bee is the only bee that never leaves the hive.
- Worker bees are all female and do almost all of the work in the hive.
- Because they are pollinators, bees are crucial to crop and plant growth.
- Bees are responsible for approximately 80% of the pollination of fruits and vegetables in the United States.
- They are the only insect that produces food eaten by humans.
- The honey they produce is the only food that includes all matter necessary to sustain life.
- Honey never expires.
- Honey bees fly at approximately 15 mph.
- They never sleep – talk about a long day.